A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V
W | X | Y | Z | Introduction | Bibliography
(New York, 1815-1863)
Responsible for the superb final design—both convincingly Grecian and fireproof—of the Montgomery Co. Courthouse, Dayton, Oh. (1847-1850; now Montgomery County Historical Society), supposedly after a preliminary design by Samuel Forrer and Horace Pease. Designed the original layout of Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati after the proposal of John Notman of Philadelphia was rejected; also laid out other important cemeteries in the area and elsewhere. Moved to Baltimore and later N.Y. (listed 1851-1856, also as a landscape architect), where he placed fourth in the Central Park competition. See Birnbaum & Crowder for Daniels’ later works and influence as an advocate of American landscape architecture, especially rural cemeteries and such early “garden suburbs” as Llewellyn Park, N.J. (along with A.J. Davis and E.A. Baumann.)
Daniels was an extremely subtle planner, on the evidence of his few known works, including an ingenious L-shaped “Cheap Suburban Cottage” with a catty-corner central entrance, which was built for the Superintendent of Dale Cemetery, Sing Sing, N.Y. (published in The Rural Annual and Horticultural Directory for 1857 and reprinted in The Genesee Farmer, 2nd series, XVII, 11 [11/1856], 345). He also designed the original “Rookwood,” the Joseph Longworth country house on Grandin Rd. in Hyde Park, Cincinnati, which was shown in a perspective and plan in The Western Horticultural Review (published in Cincinnati in the early 1850s); Isaiah Rogers later added a belvedere tower.
Advertised in the Cincinnati Daily Gazette (February 13, 1845), 3:6, as “Architect. East side of Main, 5 doors above Main. Designs cottages, farmhouses, villas, churches and public buildings. Well recommended.”
NYCOPAR (1840-1900), 24;
Painter, AIC (2006), 51, 57;
Birnbaum and Karson, (by Christine B. Lozner), 36-38;
Clouten (12/1967), 294-300.
Sixteen photographs of Dannenfelser’s woodwork and furniture were exhibited at the 3rd CAIA/CAM (1903) by the Cincinnati Art Joinery. He was responsible for a carved library for Charles P. Taft in what is now the Taft Museum, but the woodwork of the Marcus Fechheimer House on Garfield Place in downtown Cincinnati (now part of the Butterfield Senior Center, begun during the Civil War) is also attributed to Dannenfelser.
Listed as D. & Biemann, “art joinery hand made furniture,” in the 1887-1888 Business Directory.
Langsam (1997), 49;
Davis, David D.
Brought to the U.S. as an infant; studied at the Ohio Mechanics’ Institute and M.I.T., where he supposedly came under the influence of H.H. Richardson, for whom he is said to have worked (although H.H.R. died when Davis was aged 21). Returned to Cincinnati; with (William R.) Brown & (M.H.) Burton, 1899-1901; Brown & Davis, 1901-1907; on own 1908-1922; Davis & Alex. W. Stewart, 1923.
After illness prevented the original architect, Leon Coquard of Detroit, from completing designs for St. Mary’s Cathedral-Basilica of the Assumption in Covington, Ky., Davis completed the facade (1908-1910), based closely (at Bishop Camillus Maes’ request) on Notre-Dame de Paris. The upper stages of the towers have never been completed. Davis, who lived in Newport, Ky., also designed the Kenton Co. Infirmary (demolished) in Latonia, Covington, and many other (mostly untraced) buildings.
A cross-section from 1907-1910 includes religious, commercial, and other works in Charleston, W.Va.; Aberdeen, S. Dakota; Auburn, N.Y.; as well as many private and Catholic commissions in Ky. and Ohio.
Davis exhibited the main entrance of the Charleston, W.Va., Chamber of Commerce Building at the 4th CAIA/CAM (1908).
Painter, AIC (2006), 135;
(Oxford, Oh., 1813-after 1883)
A local contractor who built, and perhaps designed, several Italianate villas in the early railroad suburb, Glendale, Oh. He was the first child born in his parents’ “log cabin” in Butler Co., Oh., where “he was rocked in a cradle made of a hollow elm tree.” He moved to Cincinnati as a builder in 1833 and formed J. & D. DeCamp, builders, in 1835, with his brother Joseph; the firm continued until 1864, being responsible for constructing numerous important buildings in the area, including the Pike Opera House and the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad depot, as well as their round-houses and workshops. DeCamp was active as a developer, building residences and other structures in the West End of Cincinnati, Glendale, and especially its neighbor, Hartwell. Although he planned his own home in Hartwell, it is unclear whether he served as the designer as well as the builder of a number of houses in Glendale sometimes attributed to him.
BEO(1883), IV, 504-506;
Deeken, John Henri
Studied architecture at the University of Cincinnati (1906); then practiced “in different parts of the United States.” Associated with Guy C. Burroughs 1916/1918-1923; with Hubert M. Garriott (one of Cincinnati‘s first Modernist architects, especially as a partner of John Becker), 1931; then apparently on own 1935-1948. Best-known for fine “English” Traditional residences, but also designed the handsome Moderne Coca-Cola Building in Evanston (1937-1938).
Memoirs of the Miami Valley, III (1920), 385-386;
Langsam (1997), 4, 97, 122-123;
Painter and Sullebarger, AIC (2006), 146, 217.
John H. Deeken
Former Coca-Cola Bottling Plant, 1938
1507 Dana Avenue, Evanston
Architect John H. Deeken used streamlined styling to create the image of an efficient manufacturing operation. The building presents a sleek limestone façade with banded windows and a central entrance by a three-story round tower.
Delano, William Adams
(New York, 1874-1960)
Graduate of Yale University 1895, then Columbia University School of Architecture; then Carrere & Hastings 1897-1900; Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1900-1902. Began partnership with Chester Holmes Aldrich 1902, while both in office of Carrere & Hastings working on the construction of the New York Public Library. Although they designed other large-scale works such as the Walters Art Gallery in Baltimore (1910), Harkness Hall at Yale (1928), as well as the fine Yale Divinity School building, Delano & Aldrich specialized in stately but restrained and refined homes for the very wealthy, such as the Rockefellers, Havemeyers, Otto Kahn, Burdens, and Astors.
This brilliant N.Y. firm, or at least the principal, William A. Delano, served as a consultant in the design for the 1930 Carew Tower- Netherland Plaza complex, with architect Walter W. Ahlschlager. They also designed “Peterloon” in Indian Hill (1929-1930), the home of John J. Emery, developer of the Netherland complex, and scion of the Thomas Emery whose family has played a leading role in the real-estate development and maintenance of high-quality urbanistic and architectural design in the Cincinnati area. Delano designed another, smaller but elegant residence in Indian Hill, for E. Lawrence Jones (1929).
NYCOPAR (1900-1940), 19;
Macmillan Encyclopedia, I (1982), 538-539 (by Steven McLeod Bedford);
R.G. Wilson (1984), 178-179 (by Frederick Doveton Nichols);
MacKay (1997), 127-143;
Painter, AIC (2006), 168;
Langsam(1997) 2, 4, 95, 96, 118-119;
Pennoyer and Walker (2003).
Denison, Archibald C. (Campbell)
(Galveston, Texas, ca. 1897-1970)
Received degrees in the arts and architecture from Columbia University; served as a naval officer in World War I; established the department of architecture at Ohio University (Athens, Oh.), where he taught until 1960. Listed variously with Stanley Matthews, Charles W. Short, and A.M. Jenkins & Associates 1926-1943; on own 1957-1961. Served 38 years on the Glendale, Oh. Planning and Zoning Commission, as “a firm believer in planning being a matter of preservation rather than creation or exploitation.”
Denison and his partners were responsible for the renovation (not always sympathetically, according to more recent preservation views), of many residences in Glendale, where he lived and for which he produced a charming bird’s-eye-view map in 1932. He was also the author of America’s Maritime History (1944) and edited The Letters of William Cooper Procter, one of Glendale’s most prominent residents (the mother of Denison’s partner Stanley Matthews was a Procter).
Obituary, Cincinnati Enquirer (1/22/1970).
Desjardins, S. (Samuel) E. (“Dizzy”)
(Forestville, Mich., 1856-1916)
Highly individual, even eccentric architect; conceivably trained at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts (but not listed by Chafee) or possibly in an atelier as a Frenchman. Practiced on own 1882-1892, 1905, and 1910; with A.W. Hayward, 1893-1903 and 1913-1916; with John G. Drainie, 1906; with John F. Sheblessy, 1907-1909; with Rowland G. Bevis, 1911-1912. Desjardins, buttressed by his various partners and staff, was one of the most creative of Cincinnati’s architects for 30 years, with a fanciful flair in massing, outline, and decoration, often combining elements from different historic sources in a remarkably free way. It was Desjardins’ Cincinnati City Hall competition project, for instance –rather than the more conventional Richardsonian Romanesque design of the winning competitor, Samuel Hannaford & Sons– that was published in the influential American Architect & Building News (9/10/1887).
Among Desjardins’ and his firm’s most important works are the 7th Presbyterian Church at 1721 Madison Rd., SEC Cleinview Ave., E. Walnut Hills, which burnt several years ago (the striking tower remains above the modern sanctuary); as well as churches of the Christian denomination in Paris, Winchester, and Cynthiana, Ky. A 1904 account mentions a distillery in Old Mexico, a summer cottage in Nova Scotia, and a church in Alaska. The Greek Revival Bell House in Bell Court in Lexington, Ky., was lavishly remodeled by Desjardins after a fire in the 1880s, and is now open to the public.
It was suburban residences, however, that probably gave Desjardins’ picturesque talent the freest rein. A most valuable source, The Autograph Book of Suburban Houses, prepared by Desjardins & Hayward in 1895, has just been discovered. It appears to consist of about 175 sheets of exquisite India-ink original drawings (hence the name “Autograph Book”) of about 75 houses, most in the Cincinnati area (but not including the Ravogli House). For each residence, there is a perspective of the exterior, in great detail and framed by convincing foliage; a number of houses also have first and second floor plans, and a very few also have interior views of the entrance-stair-halls. These designs vary from Richardsonian Romanesque, Chateauesque, “Queen Anne” and Shingle Style, to early Colonial Revival, but usually have quaint features of their own. The interior plans also reveal some fantastic spatial affects, particularly in the treatment of staircases and polygonal rooms. Many of these houses survive, although some are in deteriorated condition in no-longer-fashionable neighborhoods.
Desjardins & Hayward exhibited residences in Cincinnati (as part of the AIA Circuit Drawings show) at the 1st exhibit sponsored by the Cincinnati Chapter of the American Institute of Architects held at the Cincinnati Art Museum in 1901; designs for a university and a church at the 2nd CAIA/CA (1902); and a court house, competition design for the Cincinnati Law school, et al., at the 3rd CAIA/CAM (1903). Desjardins & Sheblessy, interestingly, exhibited also at the 1st CAIA/CAM (1901; when J.F. Sheblessy was probably still located in Louisville); and various buildings at the 4th CAIA/CAM (1908). An article on “The Genius of Michael Angelo [sic]” by Desjardins, originally given before the Cincinnati Chapter of the AIA on May 20, 1902, was published in The American Architect, LXXVI, 1382 (June 21, 1902), 91-93.
Obituary, Western Architect & Builder, XXIV, 7 (12/1916);
Desjardins & Hayward advertisement, “A Tour of Fourth Street, Cincinnati” (ca. 1892); numerous listings for individual buildings in AA&BN, IA, AR, and WA&B;
Nuxhall, SGC, 23, Lot 2.
Disque, Chester H.
(ca. 1894-1971, aged 77)
Architect trained by B.T. Wisenall of the N. Ky., early 20th century firm of Dittoe & Wisenall (pronounced “Wiz-nall”), although he practiced on his own at the beginning and again at the end of his career, after also being associated in the 1960s with Stu Weber (and Bill Brown; conceivably successors to the Weber Bros.) in Ft. Thomas, Ky. (sometimes known as “Caketown,” because they have their cake of an isolated ridge overlooking the Ohio River along with temporal proximity to downtown Cincinnati). Among Wisenall’s late works, on which Disque may have collaborated, were the former John G. Carlisle Elementary School, Robbins and Holman streets, near Pike (1937), and the former Fifth St. School, SEC Philadelphia St.
Disque was based in Covington, Ky., where he designed the Covington Board of Education Building (1938), SS Eighth St. between Madison and Scott streets; Fourth District School; an addition to the 11th District School (early 1930s), in response to a “population explosion,” particularly in W. Covington, according to his son Chester H. Disque; and some storefronts in the Central Business District. Elsewhere in Kentucky, he also designed the Latonia (S. Covington) Fire Station, west of Ritte’s Corner; fire station in Warsaw (on the Ohio River); a nursing home in Sparta (off I-75 to Louisville); and Glenn Schmitt’s Bowling Alley/Lanes (on SS Fifth St.), Newport. He did some residential work, beginning with his own house on the site of Hathaway Court (in W. Covington, where Route 8 bends south away from the Ohio River; the neighboring Greek Revival Mansion on the site had been occupied by Wisenall; perhaps Disque’s house was occupied in 1982 by Frances, widow of Dr. Justice, at Parkway and Highway avenues).
During World War II, Disque worked at the Wright Aeronautical Plant (now GE) in Evendale. At the end of his career he provided design services for developers and general contractors.
Disque was among the PWA/WPA draftsmen who measured and drew the Federal-style Carneal-Bullock villa “Elmwood Hall” in Ludlow, Ky. Although (Dittoe &) Wisenall tended to design in an elegant but watered-down traditional style in the early 20th century, as far as has presently been ascertained there was a shift on Wisenall’s and Disque’s part to a rather bold, plain Moderne manner in the late 1930s (both of the Wisenall school buildings mentioned above had wide horizontal stripes in buff and brown brick, aligned to a considerable extent with the sill and lintel courses of the openings, and perhaps also a three-dimensional banding of the brick courses themselves).
Interview 12/14/1982 with Chester H. Disque, son of the architect.
Dittoe, Louis G.
(Covington, Ky., 1867/1870-1947)
Son of the editor of the Kentucky State Journal (Newport), which carried useful articles on architecture and building during his tenure. Educated at the Ohio Mechanics’ Institute (where he later taught) while working for S. Hannaford & Sons; in partnership with Bernard T. Wisenall 1893-1910; on own 1910-1947, except for Dittoe, L.W. Fahnestock, and C.H. Ferber Jr., 1916-1923. Dittoe was architect and superintendent of construction for the Ohio Exposition of 1910 in Cincinnati. He contributed a rather elegant asymmetrical Spanish Colonial design to the famous 1922 Chicago Tribune Building competition.
Dittoe and Wisenall worked on both sides of the Ohio River. They designed the Chateauesque former Covington City Hall (1898; demolished); the handsome brick Collegiate Gothic First Christian Church, still at 14 W. 5th St., Covington (1893-1894; Inland Architect, XXI, 11 [12/93]); the Kentucky Post Building on Madison Ave. in Covington (1901, much altered); the Yeatman Lodge Masonic Hall at Columbia Parkway, NEC Delta Avenue (before 1908); and a group of buildings for the Kentucky State Deaf & Dumb Institution, Danville, Ky.
Among their residential and commercial clients were members of prominent Cincinnati-area families, including the Shinkles (largely responsible for the Covington-Cincinnati [now John A. Roebling] Suspension Bridge [1856-1867]), Wulsins, and Bardes.
Dittoe & Wisenall’s Pugh Power (now Polk) Building at Pike and 5th streets in downtown Cincinnati (directly north of the Taft Museum), is said to have been the largest reinforced-concrete building in the world at the time (1904-1905; 1909; built in 2 sections). It was described by Montgomery Schuyler in his 1908 article in Architectural Record on “The Building of Cincinnati” as a “straight-forward cage,” preferable to the more “architecturesque” typical high-rise building. All these buildings seem to belong to the standard Traditional or Beaux-Arts architectural vocabulary of the day, with perhaps a certain restraint in massing and ornament, which is usually under-scaled, except in the grandiose Pugh Building, which was converted into condominium homes in 2005.
Dittoe won 3rd prize in the Cincinnati Architectural Club Competition for the design of a “Lych-Gate” (IA, XIX, 2 [3/92]). Dittoe & Wisenall exhibited various buildings at the 4th exhibit organized by the Cincinnati Chapter of the AIA at the Cincinnati Art Museum, in 1908.
Obituary, Cincinnati Enquirer (1/25/1947), 11:1;
Obituary, Cincinnati Times Star (1/24/1947), 37:2;
Goss, III (1912), 414;
Withey (1956, 1970), 175;
Obituary, National Architect (3/1947);
Painter, AIC (2006), 160, 161.
Dittoe and Wisenall
Pugh Power (later Polk, now Park Place at Lytle) Building, 1904-1905;
In 2005, the building opened as Park Place at Lytle, a luxury condominium development by the Miller-Valentine Group. GBBN Architects directed the imaginative renovation, which made use of the sturdy steel frame and large windows. The obelisk in the lower left of the photograph is a “city gateway” sculpture from the mid-1990s.
Langsam (1997), 126-27;
See sources on Wright, Taliesin Fellows and Associates, and Benjamin Dombar, as well as local sources.
Dombar, Benjamin (“Bennie”) H.
Trained at Frank Lloyd Wright’s Taliesin in Spring Green, Wisc., and Phoenix, Ariz., 1934-1941/1942; supervised an addition to Wright’s Rosenbaum house, Florence, Alabama (1948), as well as the Cedric Boulter House in Clifton (1954) and a 1958 addition. “Bennie” seems to have been one of the most popular of the early Taliesin fellows, figuring in a number of memoirs by other architects, often as in charge of the Taliesin newsletter and film showings.
After World War II he rented an office from Woodie Garber (1945); worked for Carl A. Strauss & Associates (1945-1948); then on his own and with his brother Abrom until at least 1997.
Langsam (1997), 126-27;
Interview with Benjamin Dombar, March 1992;
Besinger and O’Gorman (1997), 298.
Dornette, Edward H.
Attended Cincinnati public schools and the Ohio Mechanics’ Institute. Began practice ca. 1893 (his first known work is moving and reorienting the Greek Revival-Second Empire William Resor house, now 254 Greendale Ave, Clifton); with (Gordon) Sheppard, 1899-1902; listed until 1917 (according to his obituary, he practiced 1895-1918).
Beginning in 1898, according to Shotwell, Dornette & Sheppard specialized in public schools, often-handsome Tudor Revival, such as the Avondale School, Condon Avenue (before 1910). The pale brick Clifton Public School (NWC Clifton and McAlpin avenues, 1905) is in a restrained Neo-Classical style, enlivened by a red-tile roof and cupolas. Interestingly the Hyde Park School (NWC Observatory and Edwards avenues, 1903) has the pyramidal-roof massing associated with H.E. Siter, Dornette’s predecessor as school architect, but with more up-to-date early Colonial Revival details and understatement.
Dornette’s other public school designs included the extravagantly Flemish-gabled Central Fairmount, Evanston, First Intermediate, and Eleventh District. He designed the Spanish Mission Revival Clifton Livery Stable & Garage; see ad in 1908 Harrison Avenue Viaduct brochure. He was appointed assistant building commissioner by the City of Cincinnati’s Civil Service Commission on three different occasions, and was appointed a member of the Rapid Transit Commission in 1914.
Obituary, Cincinnati Times-Star (10/29/1949);
Obituary, Cincinnati Enquirer (10/29/1949);
Shotwell (1902), 327-328;
Cincinnati Business Proclamation (1900), 139;
Goss (1912), IV, 440-442;
Doug Dornette, “The Family and Professional Life of Edward Henry Dornette (Sr.)” (3/10/2001);
Nuxhall, SGC, 122, Lot 146.
Drach, Gustave W.
One of Cincinnati’s most important architects from the late 19th century until his death. His works ranged from elegant residences in late Victorian styles to major structural innovations. Educated in Cincinnati, including study at the original Woodward High School, for which he designed the later replacement (the School for Creative and Performing Arts), and the Ohio Mechanics’ Institute; M.I.T. School of Architecture (1883, perhaps one of the earliest Cincinnatians there, or at least one of the first generation, which included Elzner); associated with the sophisticated firm of Cummings & Sears in Boston for a year; and with the even more elite Herter Brothers in N.Y., 1884; worked for George W. Rapp in Cincinnati 1884-1885; practiced in Cincinnati under his own name, 1885-1940.
It is claimed that Drach employed reinforced-concrete skeleton construction on a large scale prior to its pioneering use by Elzner & Anderson in the Ingalls Building (1902-1903), the first high-rise office building of reinforced concrete in the world. By 1904-1905 Drach had under construction in Cincinnati eight concrete structures of two-ten stories, totaling 75,000 square feet, including the Harrison Building at Seventh and Walnut streets and the Merkel Bros (later Hale-Justis) Building on the NEC of Jackson and Canal streets, Over-The-Rhine (ca. 1904-1905).
Many of his works were both large and functionally and/or technologically innovative, combined with relative stylistic restraint. They include the Cincinnati Water Works in California, Oh.; Good Samaritan Hospital on Clifton Avenue opposite Burnet Woods; additions to I. Rogers’ 1850s Longview Asylum, Carthage, Oh.; the new Woodward High School (later the School for Creative & Performing Arts, ca. 1978-2008), on Sycamore and 13th streets, Over-the-Rhine; the Textile Building, SWC Fourth and Elm streets; the former Hotel Gibson (1913-1923); and numerous other buildings from Dayton, Oh., to Birmingham, Ala.
Drach, who was an active member and president of the Cincinnati Chapter of the AIA (becoming an AIA Fellow when the national AIA merged with the Western Society of Architects) exhibited at all four of the shows organized by the Cincinnati Chapter of the AIA in 1901, 1902, 1903, and 1908. At the 2nd and 3rd CAIA/CAM he was represented by the Cincinnati Water Works; at the 4th, by a perspective drawing of the new Woodward High School.
One of the most respected and balanced (in clientele and types of projects) architects in Cincinnati, Drach proposed “Canal Improvements” for the 1910 Ohio Valley Exposition and is said to have named the fashionable suburb of Hyde Park.
Obituary, Cincinnati Enquirer (7/19/1940), 1:5;
Obituary, Cincinnati Times-Star (7/19/1940);
Withey (1956, 1970), 181-182;
Illustrated Cincinnati (1891), 188;
Memoirs of the Miami Valley, III (1920), 386;
Stegner (1904-1905), 97-104;
Painter, AIC (2006), 97, 130, 158, 161.
Gustave W. Drach
Cincinnati California Water Works, ca. 1893-1907
5651 Kellogg Avenue, California, Ohio
The beautiful buildings of the modern waterworks and its sophisticated systems partially restored public confidence in city government and contributed to the optimistic attitude that Progressive reforms—even under boss regimes—were working.
Said to have been a graduate of the academies of both Berlin and Munich, Druiding was a prolific Chicago-based Roman Catholic architect who worked throughout the Midwest. He published an impressive book of his designs, including the Church of Saints Peter and Paul in Pittsburgh.
In the Cincinnati area, Druiding designed Mt. St. Joseph Sisters of Charity Convent and Mother House, Delhi, in Western Cincinnati (1884-1886, 1893-1894), 400 feet long, on the crest of bluff overlooking the Ohio River; the Monastery of the Sisters of the Poor, Hartwell; the fine stone Gothic Revival St. Lawrence, Price Hill; the distinctive Sacred Heart Church, Camp Washington; and St. Aloysius on the Ohio River (1888; somewhat altered in the 20th century), Sayler Park; among others.
Kervick (1962), 44;
Painter, AIC (2006), 126, 127;
Dr. Allen Bernard, (513) 381-5558, has collected quantities of material on Druiding, his work in the Cincinnati area and elsewhere, as well as on other Roman Catholic architects active in the area.
Mount St. Joseph Motherhouse, 1884-1886
5701 Delhi Pike, Delhi Township
Druiding’s original design for the chapel won an award in Paris; the renovation BY COLE+Russell also won architectural and preservation awards.
Duning, Hilbert C.
Born a deaf-mute, Duning became the first such student at the University of Cincinnati to complete a course of study, in 1933. He had a brilliant record at the Ohio Mechanics’ Institute (1927-1930), traveled Europe, and then attended the College of Engineering and Commerce evening session at UC, being awarded a certificate in architecture. Worked (perhaps as a “co-op student”) with architects Russell Potter, and Garber & Woodward, and later in the studio of sculptor of Jules Brys. There he worked on the models for the superb stone and metal ornaments for the Hannafords’ Times-StarBuilding, Broadway and 8th streets, which were designed by H.B. Wuebling; sculptor Ernest B. Haswell was responsible for much of the designing and modeling of the figures (facts which might not have been known except for a correction toThe Times-Star’stoo hasty attribution of the designs to Duning). The multi-talented Duning also painted decorative panels in the Cameron Methodist Episcopal Church for the Deaf.
Cincinnati Times-Star (5/25/1933).
Durang, Edwin F. (Forrest)
Prominent Philadelphia architect, almost exclusively for Roman Catholic institutions. Listed in New York 1909; F. Ferdinard Durang listed there ca. 1922-1938. Scions of famous professional actors and performers (E.F.‘s grandfather John Durang [1768-1822] was credited with being the first native-born American actor). E.F. Durang was trained by John E. Carver [1853-1859], “veteran residential and ecclesiastical architect of Philadelphia” and a leader in the American Ecclesiological Movement, whom Durang succeeded in 1859, practicing on his own until joined in 1908/1909 by his son F. Ferdinand Durang [1884-1966], who succeeded him in 1911 and carried on the firm until well after World War II.
In Cincinnati, E.F. Durang designed the Summit Country Day School for the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur in East Walnut Hills (now Hyde Park), 1890-1895, in several stages.
Kervick (1962), 46;
Tatman and Moss (1985), 229-234;
NYCOPAR (1900-1940), 22;
BGC (1988), 358;
Fortin (2002), 133-134, 213-215;
Souvenir Album of American Cities (1896), 201.